Transferring Credit from Other Institutions

Sometimes students want to complete required courses at another institution.  Most often this happens during summer terms, but can be done any fall, spring or summer.  A current UA student who wants to transfer credits from another institution should follow this process:

  1. Meet with your academic advisor to discuss your transfer credit options
  2. Check out the Transfer Credit Equivalency Tables on the Registrar’s website. These tables show you how courses from another institution will transfer to UA. If a course you are interested in taking is not on the table, don’t panic. Reach out to your advisor about how to have the course reviewed to see if or how it will transfer
  3. Apply to the institution where you intend to take courses. There is often a transient student option on the admissions application, which is designated for UA students who are temporarily enrolling at another school
  4. Login to myBama and generate a Letter of Transiency on the Student tab. This is an agreement between you and the university, giving permission for the course to transfer. The letter can easily be sent to your Crimson email. Save the letter in your email and provide a copy to the other institution, if requested.
  5. Register for and complete the courses at the other institution.
  6. When your final grades are posted and finalized, request to have an official copy of your transcript from the other institution sent to UA.

Important Tips for Transfer Credit

  • Look for group codes on the far left side of the Transfer Equivalency Tables (Example B1, B2). If a course has a group code, it means that two or more courses must be transferred together to count as a UA course. (Example: AC Part I and AC Part II TOGETHER equal our AC 210)
  • If a transfer course in the tables is equivalent to a course numbered with 197 or 397, it means there is no equivalent at UA, and the course will most likely transfer as an elective only
  • GBA 300 and GBA 490 cannot be taken at another institution
  • Only 6 hours of major courses can be transferred from another institution

Click here for more information on Transfers and STARS