Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Who is my academic advisor?

A: All Culverhouse College of Business students have the opportunity to meet with any of our 10 academic advisors in 10 Bidgood Hall, as we do not assign academic advisors.

Culverhouse Academic Advisors                                Advisor Email

Michael Avant
Brandy Frost
Jason Johns
Joshua Harris
Dr. David Heggem Jr.
Dr. Tiffany Labon
Dr. Keely Latopolski
Samantha Young


Culverhouse International Student Advisor Advisor Email

Jeff Clark


Culverhouse Distance Learning Advisors                          Advisors Email

Ann Margaret Vincent
Christopher Stone


Culverhouse Student-Athlete Advisor            Advisor Email

Dianne Gilbert

Is advising required each semester?

Advising is required, and it is mandatory for all main-campus and online students in the Culverhouse College of Business.

How do I make an appointment to meet with my advisor?

Main-Campus Students
You can make an appointment three different ways

  1. Call us at 205-348-4537
  2. Visit our office in 10 Bidgood Hall
  3. Schedule online here

Distance Learners (DL)
You can make an appointment in two ways

  1. Call us at 205-348-4537 to set up a face-to-face or phone appointment
  2. Email us at

When do I meet with an advisor to register for next semester?

We advise students throughout each semester. We encourage you to make an appointment at the beginning of the semester (January/August) to get advised for the following semester.

*All incoming first-year and transfer students are advised during Bama Bound summer orientation, as well as special sessions during the fall and spring semesters.

How do I change my major?

Changing your major to a business major
You can:

  • Call us at 205-348-4537
  • Stop by our office at 10 Bidgood Hall to set up an appointment with the Assistant Registrar

Changing your major to a non-business major
Visit the Advising Locations Page on the Registrar’s website.

Changing your major to another business major
Contact your advisor in 10 Bidgood Hall.

Where do I go for career advising?

Visit the Career Center at Culverhouse. They offer assistance in:

  • Cover Letter and Resume Critiques
  • Mock Interviews
  • Career Exploration
  • Mentoring
  • Personality/Interest Assessments

Visit your Handshake account through MyBama to schedule an appointment.

What majors does Culverhouse offer?

We offer 8 business majors:

  • Accounting
  • Economics
  • Finance
  • General Business
  • Management
  • Management Information Systems (MIS)
  • Marketing
  • Operations Management (OM)

For more information on each major, view our undergraduate programs here.

Can I minor in business?

Yes, business minors are open to everyone.

What majors require a second major, minor or concentration?

You can choose one from the following concentrations:

  • Entrepreneurship
  • Healthcare Analytics
  • Human Resource Management

Finance or Economics
You are required to declare one of the following:

  • A second major
  • An approved minor
  • A concentration

View a full list of majors, minors and concentrations within the Economics, Finance, and Legal Studies department here.

*All other majors are not required to have a second major, an approved minor, or concentration. You can add any of these to your program of study.

How do I use Degree Works?

You can access DegreeWorks from the Student tab in MyBama or at the Degree Works website.

For information on Degree Works and FAQs, visit the Registrar’s site.

View helpful information and a tutorial on Degree Works here.

How do I determine my student classification?

There are five classifications of undergraduate students:

Student Classifications Classification Qualification

Freshman 0 – 30 hours
Sophomore 31 – 60 hours
Junior 61 – 90 hours
Senior 91 + hours
Post-graduate Any student who has completed an undergraduate degree and is taking courses towards another undergraduate degree or as a non-degree seeking student.

What is the process of having an Office of Veteran and Military Affairs advising form signed?

Bring your form to your advising appointment or stop by 10 Bidgood Hall to speak with an on-call advisor. You must get a signature from an advisor and submit it to:

VMA Office
3000 Houser Hall

How can I be sure UA will accept my transfer credit from an outside institution?

Check the Transfer Credit Equivalency Tables located on Registrar’s Office website.

Where can I find a Letter of Transiency?

Login to MyBama, and it is located in the Student Services box in the Student tab.

We recommend completing a Letter of Transiency before taking courses outside of UA. This ensures your credit will be received by UA.

You can request an official UA transcript to be sent to the outside institution through the “Student Services” box on the Student tab in MyBama. Official transcript requests are processed by the Registrar’s Office. Some institutions require a copy of your Letter of Transiency as part of their transient admission process.

*You must request to have your official transcript sent to UA from the outside institution in order to receive credit

I am leaving UA, what are my next steps?

If you are planning on transferring to another institution you are responsible for contacting the other institution to learn how credits will be received.

You may need to submit an official transcript, which can be found on the Student tab in MyBama. You will need to contact Student Accounts to ensure all balances have been paid in full before your transcript can be released.

What is the process for receiving academic credit for an internship?

Contact your advisor in 10 Bidgood Hall for more information.

What are the steps to studying abroad?

  1. Meet with a study abroad advisor in the Education Abroad Office to discuss your options.
  2. Meet with your Culverhouse advisor to determine how the courses will apply to your degree.

*International transcripts can take up to 3 months to receive. We do NOT recommend taking study abroad courses in your final semester. Your transcript may not be received in time for graduation.

How do I get advised while studying abroad?

Academic advising is still a requirement while studying abroad. We encourage you to:

When can I register for classes?

You must see an academic advisor in order to register for classes.

Spring Semester Registration
Late October

Summer/Fall Semesters
Late March

Incoming first-year and transfer students will register at Bama Bound.

When are courses offered at UA?

The University of Alabama operates on a semester system. Each academic year we offer courses in:

  • Spring
  • Summer
  • Fall

Limited course offerings are available in special sessions. For more information, contact your advisor.

How many hours do I have to be registered to be a full-time student?

Status                                                                    Credit Hours

Part-Time Less than 12 hours
Full-Time 12- 16 hours

The flat tuition rate is between 12-16 credit hours. If you exceed 16 hours, you will incur additional intuition.

If you would like to take more than 18 hours, you must request permission from the Associate Dean of Student Services.

How do I drop a class?

You can drop a class without a grade of “W” (withdrawal) during the first week of classes.

To drop a course after this time:

  1. Go to MyBama
  2. Click the “Add/Drop” link
  3. Click on “Drop/Delete” from the dropdown menu
  4. Click “Submit”

A grade of “W” will be issued for the dropped course for the first 10 weeks of the semester. After the first 10 weeks, you may NOT withdraw from a course. Please contact your advisor for assistance.

How do I get a PIN removed/cleared for registration?

You must see an advisor to have your registration PIN removed.

Distance Learners
You must request advising through

How do I use Schedule Builder

You can find Schedule Builder in the “Student” tab in MyBama.

For assistance, visit the following pages:

What is the difference between “overall GPA” and “UA GPA”?

GPA                     Description

Overall GPA Reflects course work from The University of Alabama and all transfer coursework completed
UA GPA Reflects only coursework taken from The University of Alabama

What does “academic standing” mean and what are the differences?

There are four standings you can be placed in based on your UA GPA. The University of Alabama uses the Satisfactory Progress Standard (SPS) to determine academic standing.

Academic Standing                   Description

Good Standing Any student with a UA GPA above 2.0
Academic Warning Any student with a UA GPA below 2.0 but above the SPS
Academic Suspension Any student that has not met the SPS based on their overall hours after the completion of the fall/spring term
Reinstated from Suspension Any student that has earned a suspension but has been reinstated to their college

Why have I been placed on Academic Warning? Academic Suspension?

Academic Warning
A student is placed on Academic Warning because:

  • Their UA GPA has fallen below 2.0
  • They do not remain above the Scholastic Progress Standard (SPS).

Academic Suspension
A student is placed on Academic Suspension because:

  • Their UA GPA has fallen below the SPS

Visit the catalog to learn more about academic status, warning and suspension.

What is academic bankruptcy?

The UA catalog defines academic bankruptcy as a student’s request to retroactively withdraw from one academic term of study because of extreme personal emotional, or financial circumstances so devastating that it was impossible for the student to perform academically at a level approximating the usual record of achievement.

For more information on how to file for academic bankruptcy, contact our Student Services office at 205-348-4537.

How do I apply for graduation?

You must submit an application for a degree via MyBama once you have earned 90+ hours. Please see the University Registrar site for graduation application deadlines for each term.

If I have applied/ am a candidate for graduation, do I need to have my alternate PIN cleared?

No, you only need your PIN cleared if you plan to register for classes during the upcoming semester for further undergraduate coursework.

What are the qualifications for cum laude, magna cum laude, and summa cum laude?

Designation                                                                                                             GPA Requirement

Cum Laude 3.5 – 3.7
Magna Cum Laude 3.7 – 3.9
Summa Cum Laude 3.9 or above